Vencore is a proven provider of information solutions, engineering and analytics for the U.S. Government. With more than 40 years of experience working in the defense, civilian and intelligence communities, Vencore designs, develops and delivers high impact, mission-critical services and solutions to overcome its customers most complex problems.
Headquartered in Chantilly, Virginia, Vencore employs 3,800 engineers, analysts, IT specialists and other professionals who strive to be the best at everything they do.
Vencore is an AA/EEO Employer - Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled
The Program analyzes current NGA applications architecture, researches effective and efficient cloud technologies that allow for a minimally invasive transition to the cloud environment, without impacting NGA mission capabilities. NGA’s goal is to maximize the use of community and commercial clouds on all three domains for agility, innovation, integrated intelligence, enhanced security and resource efficiency. This initiative will lead to the migration of approximately 313 identified activities from on-premise data centers to cloud environments. The program works with Government and contractor representatives from various unclassified and classified organizations in order to satisfy NGA’s goals for efficient cloud migration of these applications to Unclassified, Secret and Top Secret cloud environments. The candidate will serve as a Software Engineer on one of the program’s cloud engineering and migration teams.
Conducts research in design, development, testing and utilization of electronic data processing software. Designs, develops, documents, tests and debugs applications software and systems that contain logical and mathematical solutions. Conducts multidisciplinary research and collaborates with equipment designers and/or hardware engineers in the planning, design, development, and utilization of electronic data processing systems for product and commercial software. Determines computer user needs; analyzes system capabilities to resolve problems on program intent, output requirements, input data acquisition, programming techniques and controls; prepares operating instructions; designs and develops compilers and assemblers, utility programs, and operating systems. Ensures software standards are met. Analyzes user needs and software requirements to determine feasibility of design within time and cost constraints. Confers with systems analysts, engineers, programmers and others to design system and to obtain information on project limitations and capabilities, performance requirements and interfaces. Designs, develops and modifies software systems, using scientific analysis and mathematical models to predict and measure outcomes and consequences of design. Coordinates software system installations and monitors equipment functioning to ensure specifications are met.
Specific responsibilities and typical tasks could include, but are not limited to:
• Comfortably and flexibly working as sole developer or within a small team
• Make recommendations to technical, non-developer peer engineers and subject-matter experts (e.g. orbital analysts, data scientists, etc.)
• Reverse-engineer sophisticated undocumented software baselines in FORTRAN and C
• Manage software development activities – to include routine development of associated schedules, risks/opportunities and Microsoft PowerPoint-based deliverables
• Demonstrate technical leadership of one or more developers / analysts
• Lead technical exchange meetings, or participate as a subject-matter expert (SME) for multidisciplinary modeling, simulation and analysis software development effort
• Propose meaningful efficiencies and delivery increments to ensure incremental improvement and “fail-fast” development
• Active TS/SCI security clearance
• Bachelor's (or equivalent) with 5 to 8 years of experience, or a Master's and 3 to 5 years of experience
• Experienced in utilizing more than one of the following legacy languages: C/C++, PERL
• Experience with web-centric programming languages such Ruby and Python
• Experience with agile development methods such as SCRUM, XP, and/or SAFe Agile
• Strong interpersonal, oral presentation and writing skills, problem solving, and multi-tasking skills
• BS in Computer Science or Computer Engineering or equivalent experience
• Experience with DevOps pipeline tools such as Jenkins, Chef, Ansible, Gitlab
• Amazon Web Services (AWS) Certifications or demonstrable experience in AWS
• Excellent analytical and problem solving skills; Experience using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative technical solutions or approaches to problems