Vencore is a proven provider of information solutions, engineering and analytics for the U.S. Government. With more than 40 years of experience working in the defense, civilian and intelligence communities, Vencore designs, develops and delivers high impact, mission-critical services and solutions to overcome its customers most complex problems.
Headquartered in Chantilly, Virginia, Vencore employs 3,800 engineers, analysts, IT specialists and other professionals who strive to be the best at everything they do.
Vencore is an AA/EEO Employer - Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled
The Program analyzes current NGA applications architecture, researches effective and efficient cloud technologies that allow for a minimally invasive transition to the cloud environment, without impacting NGA mission capabilities. NGA’s goal is to maximize the use of community and commercial clouds on all three domains for agility, innovation, integrated intelligence, enhanced security and resource efficiency. This initiative will lead to the migration of approximately 313 identified activities from on-premise data centers to cloud environments. The program works with Government and contractor representatives from various unclassified and classified organizations in order to satisfy NGA’s goals for efficient cloud migration of these applications to Unclassified, Secret and Top Secret cloud environments. The candidate will serve as a Database Engineer on one of the program’s cloud engineering and migration teams.
Designs, develops, builds, analyzes, evaluates and installs database management systems to include database modeling and design, relational database architecture, metadata and repository creation and configuration management. Uses data mapping, data mining and data transformational analysis tools to design and develop databases. Determines data storage and optimum storage requirements. Prepares system requirements, source analysis and process analyses and design throughout the database implementation. Evaluates, sizes and selects technology components, such as software, hardware, and networking capabilities, for database management systems and application databases. Writes and tunes SQL queries for performance and scalability. Implements comprehensive backup and database replication solutions.
Specific responsibilities and typical tasks could include, but are not limited to:
• Analyzing ‘As-Is’ database schemas
• Creating database schema conversion strategies
• Validating IOPS requirements
• Cache optimization
• Architecting highly available and fault tolerant database design
• Integrating software packages into various database engines
• Active TS/SCI security clearance
• Bachelor's (or equivalent) with 5 to 8 years of experience, or a Master's and 3 to 5 years of experience
• Extensive knowledge of scripting to support data ingest and management
• Ability to work both individually and in a team environment with limited oversight
• Technical writing and oral communication skills, possesses the ability to apply domain experience with the proper context for the Sponsor
• BS in Computer Science or Computer Engineering or equivalent experience
• Experience deploying and managing Relational and NoSQL database technologies
• Experience deploying and maintaining databases in Amazon Web Services
• Experience deploying Elastic Map Reduce clusters
• Experience converting from costed databases to open source models
• Amazon Web Services Big Data Certification
• Experience migrating on-premises databases into a cloud environment
• Experience using AWS Database Migration Service, Redshift, DynamoDB, and Aurora
• Industry Database Certifications, for example Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle Certified Professional, MySQL Database Administrator